1.-JAPAN
Taking advantage of a trip to the land Nipponese, not only took the opportunity to make tourism, but also to get a little up in the currents of twentieth-century Japanese literature. So I am slightly disappointed reading his popular Soseki Botchan, but then I got even with Kokoro, I conquered by simplicity, purity of line and the oriental sensibility of an author fascinated by the West but too sensible to adapt to European views. Kawabata seemed more consistent with masterpieces such as Beauty and sad or Snow Country, wondrous and disturbing tales as The House of the Sleeping Beauties, or novels such as Kyoto, which reflect the spirit and identity of the best. Mishima was murkier me with a moral and lyrical violence to very special occasions that can evoke the poetics of Kitano, but sometimes stumbles and does not know where to stand. And excessive harshness Ryu Murakami I choked and almost transparent blue, which also I finished reading the bullet train that took me from Tokyo to Kyoto. But do not forget the most popular Japanese writers alive, and finally read The Wild Sheep Chase, my account pending in Castilian with Haruki Murakami, who convinced me as one of the most comprehensive books and, despite the undeniable flaws the author, fascinated me and made eagerly devour every page of Vol. There is something strange and very close to the protagonists of the novels of Murakami.
2.-THE SHADOW OF THE GIRLS IN BLOOM / THE WORLD GUERMANTES
it also was the year of return to other accounts, and continue reading In Search of Lost Time, with its joyful taste of phrases and feelings. No rush to end the seven volumes, so I thought that two volumes a year is a good ration. Maybe The Guermantes I came to choke a little (too many rooms, too aristocracy), but Marcel Balbec teen made me enjoy like no other book that I remember.
3.-YOUR FACE TOMORROW
and refusing to leave the cadence Proust, was also absolutely joyful continuous reading of Your Face Tomorrow, the great novel by Javier Marias, who is able to mix more evocative influences Marcel Proust with the springs more intricate and playful novel genre: Ian Fleming Nabokov (Nabokov if he can be considered a genre). It's nice to get lost in the digressions of Marias, sometimes as much fun and sometimes as moral, but sometimes disagrees with the merits. However, you can not deny his desire fighter and dump the authenticity of every word. I have to say that, at the end of the third volume, I was left wanting more, I felt a kind of monkey Marys.
4.-THE HISTORY OF LOVE
A discovery by Nicole Krauss, is New York which I also met on the occasion of a trip to New York, trying to find authors who are left out of the most typical and known geometry of the Big Apple. Try Jews in Brooklyn, but is so far from Paul Auster as Woody Allen. Meaclando special sensitivity and sweetness with some risk structural and narrative prose Krauss seeps slowly moving to open a hole inside of readers away also possible sentimentality.
5.-THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER
authors
sensitive And if we can not forget to talk about Carson McCullers, who I finally read this year its masterpiece, The Hunter is a Lonely Hunter, with its magnificent view of a town in Middle America and its moving portrait of a group of characters. It's hard to think of an author whose characters have more soul and more body than in this novel, small in appearance but very large in progress.
6.-THE ROAD
We in the USA, but completely changing style. With a year behind read The road, Cormac McCarthy's apocalyptic tale, and I appreciate some change over the years in the author's style. The road is dry and even more forceful than usual in him, and his prose is not as intoxicating as Sutree, for example, but their descriptions, with fewer elements, remain relentless, and its touches of irreproachable character. His most minimalist and perhaps the most telling. I do not know if that's good or bad, but the novel struck me.
7.-WASHINGTON SQUARE
A classic transition from Henry James, from which will go towards a more elliptical and certainly elegant. This still holds its ground staff many nineteenth-century narrative conventions, but it gets a little romance flawless, almost perfect, which can not help thinking as you stroll along the arc or the source of Washington Square. (And the movie W. Wyler, The Heiress, I think a great adaptation).
8.-DEMONS
The last of the great soap operas of Dostoevsky I needed to read. I thought being a political proclamation eventually became one of its most characteristic novels, full of crazy characters, situations full of fever, fever and spear, and messy and full of ideas about God kaleidoscopic, Russia, society, morality ... The psychology of Dostoyevsky, but play with archetypes, reaches as far that all possibilities allow (something like Borges said of nineteenth-century Russian novel in general).
9.-indignation
To give some new, some of those titles that have appeared on lists of newspapers, and if someone needs to follow the pulse of current (I increasingly less, the truth, although I can not meet certain weaknesses). The penultimate and the great Philip Roth novel seems to distance himself from his last record, old age and the maze of death and, oddly enough, back to the land of youth who did not play incendiary since the days of American Pastoral. The novelette is short but exemplary, but at times may seem to be written on automatic pilot ...
10.-MAUS
New this year is the foray into the world of comics, with the famous Pulitzer Prize in 1992 by Art Spiegelman. Although many things can not be compared with other literary works, Spiegelman's book is exemplary in many ways: from his personal honesty and moral, the brilliance of its execution and the risk (for a comic book) of its structure, to its clear and faithful portrait of the Holocaust and, especially, the touching and genuine relationship shown between a father and son. There are also great creations in the world of comics.
Taking advantage of a trip to the land Nipponese, not only took the opportunity to make tourism, but also to get a little up in the currents of twentieth-century Japanese literature. So I am slightly disappointed reading his popular Soseki Botchan, but then I got even with Kokoro, I conquered by simplicity, purity of line and the oriental sensibility of an author fascinated by the West but too sensible to adapt to European views. Kawabata seemed more consistent with masterpieces such as Beauty and sad or Snow Country, wondrous and disturbing tales as The House of the Sleeping Beauties, or novels such as Kyoto, which reflect the spirit and identity of the best. Mishima was murkier me with a moral and lyrical violence to very special occasions that can evoke the poetics of Kitano, but sometimes stumbles and does not know where to stand. And excessive harshness Ryu Murakami I choked and almost transparent blue, which also I finished reading the bullet train that took me from Tokyo to Kyoto. But do not forget the most popular Japanese writers alive, and finally read The Wild Sheep Chase, my account pending in Castilian with Haruki Murakami, who convinced me as one of the most comprehensive books and, despite the undeniable flaws the author, fascinated me and made eagerly devour every page of Vol. There is something strange and very close to the protagonists of the novels of Murakami.
2.-THE SHADOW OF THE GIRLS IN BLOOM / THE WORLD GUERMANTES
it also was the year of return to other accounts, and continue reading In Search of Lost Time, with its joyful taste of phrases and feelings. No rush to end the seven volumes, so I thought that two volumes a year is a good ration. Maybe The Guermantes I came to choke a little (too many rooms, too aristocracy), but Marcel Balbec teen made me enjoy like no other book that I remember.
3.-YOUR FACE TOMORROW
and refusing to leave the cadence Proust, was also absolutely joyful continuous reading of Your Face Tomorrow, the great novel by Javier Marias, who is able to mix more evocative influences Marcel Proust with the springs more intricate and playful novel genre: Ian Fleming Nabokov (Nabokov if he can be considered a genre). It's nice to get lost in the digressions of Marias, sometimes as much fun and sometimes as moral, but sometimes disagrees with the merits. However, you can not deny his desire fighter and dump the authenticity of every word. I have to say that, at the end of the third volume, I was left wanting more, I felt a kind of monkey Marys.
4.-THE HISTORY OF LOVE
A discovery by Nicole Krauss, is New York which I also met on the occasion of a trip to New York, trying to find authors who are left out of the most typical and known geometry of the Big Apple. Try Jews in Brooklyn, but is so far from Paul Auster as Woody Allen. Meaclando special sensitivity and sweetness with some risk structural and narrative prose Krauss seeps slowly moving to open a hole inside of readers away also possible sentimentality.
5.-THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER
authors
sensitive And if we can not forget to talk about Carson McCullers, who I finally read this year its masterpiece, The Hunter is a Lonely Hunter, with its magnificent view of a town in Middle America and its moving portrait of a group of characters. It's hard to think of an author whose characters have more soul and more body than in this novel, small in appearance but very large in progress.
6.-THE ROAD
We in the USA, but completely changing style. With a year behind read The road, Cormac McCarthy's apocalyptic tale, and I appreciate some change over the years in the author's style. The road is dry and even more forceful than usual in him, and his prose is not as intoxicating as Sutree, for example, but their descriptions, with fewer elements, remain relentless, and its touches of irreproachable character. His most minimalist and perhaps the most telling. I do not know if that's good or bad, but the novel struck me.
7.-WASHINGTON SQUARE
A classic transition from Henry James, from which will go towards a more elliptical and certainly elegant. This still holds its ground staff many nineteenth-century narrative conventions, but it gets a little romance flawless, almost perfect, which can not help thinking as you stroll along the arc or the source of Washington Square. (And the movie W. Wyler, The Heiress, I think a great adaptation).
8.-DEMONS
The last of the great soap operas of Dostoevsky I needed to read. I thought being a political proclamation eventually became one of its most characteristic novels, full of crazy characters, situations full of fever, fever and spear, and messy and full of ideas about God kaleidoscopic, Russia, society, morality ... The psychology of Dostoyevsky, but play with archetypes, reaches as far that all possibilities allow (something like Borges said of nineteenth-century Russian novel in general).
9.-indignation
To give some new, some of those titles that have appeared on lists of newspapers, and if someone needs to follow the pulse of current (I increasingly less, the truth, although I can not meet certain weaknesses). The penultimate and the great Philip Roth novel seems to distance himself from his last record, old age and the maze of death and, oddly enough, back to the land of youth who did not play incendiary since the days of American Pastoral. The novelette is short but exemplary, but at times may seem to be written on automatic pilot ...
10.-MAUS
New this year is the foray into the world of comics, with the famous Pulitzer Prize in 1992 by Art Spiegelman. Although many things can not be compared with other literary works, Spiegelman's book is exemplary in many ways: from his personal honesty and moral, the brilliance of its execution and the risk (for a comic book) of its structure, to its clear and faithful portrait of the Holocaust and, especially, the touching and genuine relationship shown between a father and son. There are also great creations in the world of comics.
0 comments:
Post a Comment